Friday, June 20, 2014

One for the Boys

   
"Super BF" (Fancy Doodle by Amanda)
He's just a man...

  He's sweet, he's chivalrous, he's passionate, he's handsome.... the list goes on! He loves god, respects his parents, and volunteers to help others. Great! He's a hopeless romantic who writes you poems, brings you flowers, and serenades you from outside your bedroom window. Or maybe he's tall, dark, and handsome, with a six figure income. He's everything you've ever imagined in a dream guy and seems perfect in every way! Either way, when we meet a nice guy that seems to have everything we are looking for, we tend to embellish it a bit and forget the fact that they are just normal human beings.

In the past, I have been totally guilty of this. Sometimes when a good guy comes along, I subconsciously uphold him to an almost god-like status. I hang onto all of the little details that are good and tend to overlook the negatives. I forget that he is flawed and has struggles on a daily basis just like I do. While it is okay to daydream and be lovestruck at times, it is important to get your head out of the clouds every once in awhile.

I'm pretty sure I am not the only offender of this sort of thing. ;)

There are a few reasons as to why this 
mindset can be dangerous:

1.) First and foremost, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It is very important not to put all of your faith into a person, because they are bound to let you down at some point in your life. If you view your man as some perfect entity, the day he messes up you are going to come crashing down and be taken off guard. Don't get me wrong, there are some really great guys out there. But despite all of the great things about them, they have struggles on a daily basis, and they will mess up. Even the kindest, smartest, most god-fearing, man is going to have bad days and the are going to sometimes say hurtful things or make poor choices. Ultimately we should be placing our trust and confidence in God, because he is the only one that will never let us down. 

He is the only constant.

2.) The moment you start to build someone up too high, you are opening up a gateway to total emotional dependance. In the past, I got completely wrapped up in this one guy and started to build my life around him. In the midst of our time together, I kept my rose colored glasses on and chose to only see the good. I depended on him for my emotional security. I used him as my crutch to get through hard times. I was so infatuated with him that I overlooked completely absurd things that he did and I allowed him to treat me like dirt. I bent over backwards for him and if he said, "jump!" I'd ask, "how high??" When things between us went sour and he was no longer part of my life, I initially felt helpless. I truly thought that I needed him to help me navigate through life. I couldn't imagine going on without him by my side. I spent a solid six months in a mini-coma, freaking out and sulking because I didn't know how to "do life" without him to guide me.

3.) It puts a lot of pressure on your man. I'm pretty positive that guys can sense when we are expecting too much from them. It is stressful trying to live up to such high standards. I think in some cases this is what can cause guys to push away and/or run in the opposite direction. They sense that you uphold them to such a high standard and it freaks them out a little bit. Now I'm all for equality of the sexes and I would even consider myself to be a slight feminist, but in a lot of cases, it is still up to the guy to be the leader of the household. A lot of times, more weight is put on him to be the "bread-winner" and the problem solver. My last ex once said to me, "You deserve more than I can give you. I'm not a perfect guy. I have so much to work on. Sometimes I feel like you could do better than me." I think his main issue was the fact that he was really feeling the pressure when he thought about our future together and what he thought he was capable of bringing to the table. I think ultimately this thought process was what caused him to get cold feet and push away. We were both at fault. He was such a talented, sweet, caring, guy and so I got wrapped up in him and treated him like he was the most perfect person I'd ever met in my life. He got caught up in trying to live up to the reputation, lost confidence along the way, and caved under the pressure.


All in all, my main point is to remind us all to come back down to earth every now and then. Cut your man some slack and make sure that you let him know that you don't expect perfection from him, and that you still love him unconditionally despite the fact that he has weaknesses and flaws. Once you take your man off of his pedestal and view each other on the same level keeping in mind that you both are just imperfect beings, it leads to much more realistic expectations. Even for us single ladies on the prowl, it is good for us to keep this in mind while seeking potential partners. Keeping a realistic perspective on things will help you to have a healthier more satisfying relationship in the long-run. And last but not least, build your foundation around God, 
the only one who will never ever fail you. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment